8 Day Sacred Valley & Lares Lodge Adventure
Embrace the Andean way of life by tailor-making your own blend of cultural immersion and physical exertion on this 8-day Sacred Valley and Lares Lodge Adventure. You’ll spend time in Cuzco, the charming old Inca capital, and you’ll explore the majestic sanctuary of Machu Picchu with an expert guide. But you’ll also get a chance to explore the Sacred Valley and the remote Lares region, choosing from a daily menu of cultural and adventure activities, all the while eating gourmet Andean food and staying in rustic luxury lodges.
This fully customizable, private tour can be crafted by a Destination Expert to match the vacation of your dreams. From the moment you contact us, until the day you return home, we cater to your every whim.
See our preferred hotels for this itinerary by destination:
- A free day in Cuzco to acclimatize to the altitude (and explore the one-time Inca capital) before your adventure begins.
- A chance to visit some of the more remote sections of the Sacred Valley and a bucket-list trip to Pisaq at sunset.
- Overnight stays in rustic luxury lodges to give you the opportunity to rest your hardworking body and make use of all amenities.
- A daily menu (especially on Days 3, 4 & 5) of cultural and adventure activities to suit every preference and fitness level.
- The chance to venture deep into the mystic Lares region, home to spectacular scenery and an ancient way of life.
- A night in Ollantaytambo, the oldest working inhabited town in the Americas, and a guided tour of the ruins of the same name.
- A two-hour guided tour of the Machu Picchu ruins, with free time to explore at your leisure.
- A scenic train ride through the Sacred Valley, back to Cuzco.
- Depending on when you fly home, a tour of Lima’s key sites – the Larco Museum, the picturesque waterfront district of Miraflores and the city’s historical colonial squares.
Trip At A Glance
- Day 1 – Arrive in Lima and overnight in the only luxury hotel across the street from the airport to minimize transit times.
- Day 2 – A day to acclimatize to the altitude in Cuzco – with the added bonus of exploring, eating and shopping to your heart’s content.
- Day 3 – Go off-the-beaten-path in the magnificent Sacred Valley. Enjoy a traditional Peruvian feast and visit the ruins of Pisaq at sunset.
- Day 4 – Go even deeper into the Lares region. Visit a weavers’ village or go for a spectacular hike through the Andes to the village of Huacahuasi.
- Day 5 – Choose between two spectacular hikes, a mountain bike ride or vehicle transfer to get from Huacahuasi to Ollantaytambo.
- Day 6 – Enjoy a guided tour of the fascinating ruins above Ollantaytambo before embarking on a scenic train ride to Machu Picchu town.
Day 1 - Arrival in Lima, Peru
Welcome to Peru! After gathering your luggage, simply exit the airport and walk across the street to your Lima hotel, the Costa del Sol Wyndham, to rest up ahead of your transfer to Cuzco..
Day 2 - Lima to Cuzco
In the morning you will just need to walk back across the street to check in for your flight to Cuzco, the erstwhile capital of the legendary Inca Empire. Upon arrival in Cuzco, you’ll be met at the airport by your guide and driver and escorted to your Cuzco hotel. Since you’re going from sea level to 11,500 feet, you will want to spend today slowly adjusting to your new beautiful but literally breath-taking surroundings. Cuzco is one of the most charming towns in all of South America, and extremely pedestrian and visitor friendly.
Day 3 – Sacred Valley
Early morning departure from Cusco. Option to visit to the celebrated market at Pisaq or take a moderate hike in the hills and mountains over the Sacred Valley. Later, enjoy exclusive access to the isolated community of Viacha, where you will learn about its unique farming practices. For lunch, delight in a traditional “Pachamanca” meal here, cooked under hot stones. Afternoon excursion to the archaeological complex at Pisaq, a wonderful opportunity to explore the complex free of crowds, with the sun setting behind the peaks.
Day 4 – Lares Region
Go deeper into the heart of the Lares region. A road journey into the mountains will take you through remote archaeological sites. After lunch, choose between visiting a traditional weaver’s village and a scenic drive or a moderate/strenuous hike amidst turquoise blue lakes and towering peaks to the remote village of Huacahuasi. Locals will give you insight into the evolving role of the original Andean people in both the culture and commerce of modern-day Cusco.
Day 5 – Sacred Valley
Spend some time in the morning learning more about the heritage and day-to-day activities of the Huacahuasi community. Then, you can choose to embark on a spectacular hike through varied terrain and over a high pass, to the ancient town of Ollantaytambo, the oldest living city in Latin America; or try an easygoing hike from Lares Pass – via an astonishing, authentic Inca trail – along a beautiful canyon down to the local community of Totora. If you prefer to see more of the Sacred Valley, you can drive back for a visit to an ethnographic museum featuring the history of Peru’s rich civilizations of the past or choose to explore the valley on mountain bike. Afterwards, enjoy lunch in the Urubamba River valley on your way to Ollantaytambo, where you can spend time meandering through the village’s charming labyrinthine alleys.
Day 6 – Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu Town
Start your day with a short hike to the Inca storage structures high above Ollantaytambo for magnificent views of the town and the temple. After breakfast enjoy a guided tour of the fortress, one of the best examples of Inca architecture and revel in its mystical history…A perfect hors d’oeuvre ahead of the wonders of Machu Picchu tomorrow. Midday, embark on a scenic train ride along the Urubamba River Valley to Aguas Calientes, a bustling town below the Machu Picchu sanctuary.
Day 7 – Machu Picchu Tour to Cuzco
At dawn, begin your visit to Machu Picchu with a rollicking uphill bus ride. As you enter the Sanctuary, the morning sun rises over the iconic Sun Gate and washes the structures and terraces with resplendent light. Prepare to be awed by the skillful architecture of the many watchtowers, the Temple of the Sun, and the royal Inca residences, among many others. Take a moment to quietly sit and listen to the wind…Or to meditate and absorb the mystical energy that envelops you. Let your imagination soar as you contemplate the history of Machu Picchu and its mysterious origins. Optional uphill hike to the summit of Huayna Picchu for that view. Lunch in Aguas Calientes before an afternoon/early evening return to Cusco by train and private coach.
Day 8 – Cuzco to Lima
You will be picked up from your hotel and driven to the Cuzco airport for your flight to Lima. (Optional recommended excursion) - Depending on the time of your international flight, out a private tour of Lima's key sites can be arranged. You will visit the Larco Archaeological Museum, the San Francisco Monastery and its catacombs, Lima's historic colonial squares, and the picturesque waterfront district Miraflores.
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners. Our specialty is private, customizable travel experiences.
8 Day Tour from $3,190 per person
- 4 nights in our preferred properties hand selected for comfort, convenience and quality
- Privately guided tours with your own personal guide and driver (outside Lares Trek)
- All private airport transfers with English speaking assistance (outside Lares Trek)
- 3 nights on guided small-group Lares Lodge to Lodge Trek
- Nutritious meals, snacks and water
- Guide and assistant guide support
- Porter assistance to carry your personal belongings
- Return train to Machu Picchu Pueblo and the bus to ruins
- All required entrance fees
- All breakfasts
- 24hr support
- All taxes
8 Day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu Tour
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 3 nights camping on the Inca Trail
Tackle the legendary Inca Trail for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to approach Machu Picchu through breathtaking mountain scenery, as the Incas themselves did many centuries ago. The classic four-day Inca Trail trek involves visits to all the trail’s famous sites, including the ruins at Runkurakay, Sayacmarca, Phuyupatamarca and Wiñay Wayna. Your equipment will be carried by experienced porters and you will sleep in tented luxury as you make your way to your ultimate destination of Machu Picchu, which you will view at sunrise through the Sun Gate.
8 Day Lares Trek & Tour
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 2 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
Experience a little bit of everything the Cuzco region has to offer on this 8-Day Lares Trek & Tour. You’ll discover the fascinating pre-Columbian and colonial history of Cuzco, jewel of the Andes, before immersing yourself in the ancient lifestyle of the Lares region on a three-day trek through spectacular Andean scenery and centuries-old communities. Top it off with a comfortable visit to Machu Picchu and a private guided tour of the Incas’ crowning achievement. You’ll stay in luxury hotels and camp and trek in comfort, with expert guides catering for your every whim.
12 Day Great Inca Trail & Machu Picchu Tour
1 night in Lima, 2 nights in Huaraz, 4 nights on the trail, 3 nights in Cuzco, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
Experience two of the Incas’ greatest accomplishments on this 12-day Great Inca Trail and Machu Picchu tour. First, follow in the footsteps of the Incas on a remote and pristine section of the Great Inca Trail, a magnificent engineering marvel that very few people have ever visited. You will spend 5 days hiking on the Incas’ great road, camping at their ancient refuges and depending on llamas to carry your luggage. Then fly to Cuzco, the ancient Inca capital, to experience the wonders of the city, the Sacred Valley and the magnificent citadel at Machu Picchu in private, guided comfort.
8 Day Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 2 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
The 8-Day Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek is a unique and authentic experience developed by SA Expeditions in conjunction with the people of the Choquechaca Valley who have become lifelong friends with our founder. You’ll trek through remote and pristine landscapes accompanied by the men who have lived there for millennia, camp in spectacular locations and visit your guides’ ancestral village and meet their families. What’s more, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of Machu Picchu and spend a few days exploring Cuzco and imbibing its intoxicating blend of Spanish and pre-Colombian history.