8 Day Machu Picchu & Rainbow Mountain Tour
In just over a week you can explore the best the Andes of Peru have to offer on this 8-day Machu Picchu & Rainbow Mountain expedition. A quick departure from Lima to Cuzco kicks off the adventure of scenic train rides through the Sacred Valley, high-altitude hikes into the clouds of Machu Picchu and the unique Rainbow Mountain, not to mention treks through ingenious agricultural sites left behind by the Inca culture. Private tours and luxurious accommodations assure that you can relish your new surroundings of the picturesque Peruvian highlands.
This fully customizable, private tour can be crafted by a Destination Expert to match the vacation of your dreams. From the moment you contact us, until the day you return home, we cater to your every whim.
See our preferred hotels for this itinerary by destination:
- A day to acclimatize in the Sacred Valley, ancient heartland of the Incan civilization. You will visit the town of Pisac, Incan ruins perched on the hillside above the valley, and enjoy all the luxurious amenities of your hotel.
- A private tour of the Sacred Valley. You will visit Moray, a circular terraced agricultural site, the Salinas salt pools, and the massive ruins at Ollantaytambo.
- A train ride through the Sacred Valley to Aguas Calientes, the closest town to Machu Picchu, the lost city of the Incas.
- A guided tour of the breath-taking Machu Picchu, to the most important and fascinating parts of the ruins, where you’ll learn how and why they were constructed.
- A night at an exclusive hotel in Aguas Calientes, where you can once again take in the splendor of your surroundings.
- An opportunity to hike to the top of Huayna Picchu, overlooking the Machu Picchu citadel, for a bird’s eye view of the ruin
- A private half-day tour of Cuzco, the capital of the Incan Empire, including stops at the immense ruin of Sacsayhuaman, the temple of Koricancha, and Cuzco’s Cathedral to view its art and artefacts.
- The opportunity to take a private tour of Lima’s key sites, including the Larco Archaeological Museum, the San Francisco Monastery and its catacombs, Lima’s historical colonial squares, and the picturesque waterfront district of Miraflores.
- Hike over 13 miles as you ascend Vinicunca, also known as Rainbow Mountain, a name owed to its colorfully striped surface.
Trip At A Glance
- Day 1 - Arrive in Lima and enjoy a sumptuous meal at your hotel, located near the airport to minimize transit times
- Day 2 - Depart for historic Cuzco and head into the breathtaking Sacred Valley where you can acclimatize to the altitude
- Day 3 - Enjoy a tour of the agricultural wonders of the Sacred Valley, including Moray, the Salinas salt pools, and the villages and ancient ruins located in Ollantaytambo
- Day 4 - Discover Machu Picchu on a private guided tour, then explore at leisure or hike up to the top of Huayna Picchu for a unique perspective from above before catching a train ride from Ollantaytambo to Cuzco
- Day 5 - Explore the streets of Cuzco on a fascinating guided tour of the key sites, including Sacsayhuaman, Koricancha and the iconic Cuzco Cathedral
- Day 6 - Meet your trekking team and begin your hike up Rainbow Mountain, a picturesque trek through the highlands. Camp overnight on the trail
- Day 7 - Complete the ascent and reap the reward of stepping foot on the mystic Rainbow Mountain. After appreciating the view, descend to board your transportation back to a well-earned relaxing night in Cuzco
- Day 8 - Return to Lima and, time allowing, visit the capital’s key historic sites, such as the Larco Archaeological Museum and the San Francisco Monastery
Day 1 - Arrival in Lima, Peru
Welcome to Peru! Today is a transit day, and after a long flight you're probably looking forward to a nice meal and some relaxation. The Costa del Sol hotel is located right across the street from the airport and is the best choice for travelers connecting to Cuzco. But if you arrive to Lima in the early afternoon, you’ll have the time to make your way to a hotel in the picturesque waterfront district of Miraflores. If you go for this option, one of our representatives will meet you at the airport and escort you to your hotel.
Day 2 - Lima to the Sacred Valley
In the morning, you’ll board your flight to Cuzco. Your guide will meet you at the airport, and take you on a journey through the spectacular scenery of the Sacred Valley, the agricultural strip that supplied food to the Incan Empire. On the way to your hotel, you will visit the town of Pisac and the Inca ruins perched on the hillside above the valley. When you arrive, you can relax in the peaceful garden surroundings of your country hotel as you settle in and acclimatize to the altitude.
Day 3 - Private Sacred Valley Tour
Your guide will take you into the Sacred Valley, a land lost in time amid the mountains, to visit Moray, a circular terraced agricultural site, and the Salinas salt pools. In the afternoon, you'll explore Ollantaytambo with its massive Inca ruins and charming town, , before boarding the train to Aguas Calientes.
Day 4 - Private Machu Picchu Tour
This is the moment you’ve been waiting for! You will have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to uncover the secrets of Machu Picchu with a guided tour of the Incan citadel. Your guide will take you to the most important parts of the city, and reveal all that’s known about how the city was created. After exploring the ruins you can rest up on the train back to Cuzco.
Day 5 - Tour the streets of Cuzco
During your tour of Cuzco, once the capital of the Incan Empire, you’ll visit Sacsayhuaman (an immense Incan complex with impressive stonework, Koricancha (one of the most important Incan temples whose walls were once actually coated in gold!), and Cuzco’s Cathedral where you’ll learn about the Cuzco school of art.
Day 6 - Begin trek up Rainbow Mountain
After breakfast, you’ll travel through the southern valley, along the Urubamba River. Pass through charming villages before continuing to the highland community of Quesoyoni (14,350 ft), where you’ll meet your trekking team. The hike begins by following a small stream which brings you into the highlands where you can enjoy magnificent views of Ausangate Mountain (the highest peak in the area) and the valley. Continue to climb for about two hours (reaching 16,440 ft), with an amazing view of the Vilcanota mountain chain. After the pass, descend for about an hour to our campsite close to the Surine Qocha (15,730 ft) where you’ll spend the evening.
Day 7 - Reach your goal!
Start your day with an early breakfast to power through 1.5 hours more of ascent to reach Rainbow Mountain (16,530 ft), known as Vinicunca to locals. Enjoy stunning views over this unique striped mountain, with its crimson neighbor in the background and Ausangate looming overhead. Once you have taken in the views, it’s time to start the descent down the K´airahuire valley, where you’ll enjoy a final lunch. Your trek ends on arrival to Quesoyoni, where you’ll board your transport back to Cuzco for a relaxing evening at leisure.
Day 8 - Return to Lima
Catch a flight back to Peru’s metropolitan capital, Lima. If time permits, explore the city and some of the best it has to offer, including the Larco Archaeological Museum, home to pre-Columbian artifacts dating back to over 4,000 years old.
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners. Our specialty is private, customizable travel experiences.
8 Day Tour from $2,790 per person
- 6 nights in our preferred properties hand selected for comfort, convenience and quality
- Privately guided tours with your own personal guide and driver
- A 2-day day guided, private hike to Rainbow Mountain
- All camping gear and nutritious meals, snacks and water
- Upgraded thermarest sleeping mats & sleeping bags
- Private portable bathroom to supplement camp-site restrooms
- Roundtrip train to Machu Picchu Pueblo and the bus to ruins
- All private airport transfers with English speaking assistance
- Roundtrip Vistadome train to Machu Picchu Pueblo and the bus to ruins with the company of your private guide to ensure a seamless journey
- All required entrance fees
- 24hr support
- All taxes
8 Day Great Inca Trail Expedition
1 night in Lima, 2 nights in Huaraz, 4 nights on the trail
Indulge in the adventure of a lifetime when you hike a pristine section of the Great Inca Trail, a 25,000-mile road network widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest engineering marvels. For five days you’ll traverse a remote, rugged and spectacular swath of Peru’s Northern Andes that very few tourists have ever visited. You will follow in the footsteps of the Incas – treading their great road, camping at ancient refuges and relying on llamas to carry your luggage – under the watchful guidance of an experienced local guide, chef and porters.
9 Day Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 3 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
Trek to Machu Picchu by going “off the beaten Inca Trail” on the exotic Salkantay Trek. Described by National Geographic as “the cool way” to get to the ancient Incan citadel, this challenging hike takes you through Andean peaks, cloud forests, Incan ruins and small villages where people still live as they have for hundreds of years. You’ll camp in style, beat the crowds to Machu Picchu, and visit cosmopolitan Lima and charming Cuzco, the erstwhile capital of the Incas.
8 Day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu Tour
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 3 nights camping on the Inca Trail
Tackle the legendary Inca Trail for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to approach Machu Picchu through breathtaking mountain scenery, as the Incas themselves did many centuries ago. The classic four-day Inca Trail trek involves visits to all the trail’s famous sites, including the ruins at Runkurakay, Sayacmarca, Phuyupatamarca and Wiñay Wayna. Your equipment will be carried by experienced porters and you will sleep in tented luxury as you make your way to your ultimate destination of Machu Picchu, which you will view at sunrise through the Sun Gate.
8 Day Lares Trek & Tour
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 2 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
Experience a little bit of everything the Cuzco region has to offer on this 8-Day Lares Trek & Tour. You’ll discover the fascinating pre-Columbian and colonial history of Cuzco, jewel of the Andes, before immersing yourself in the ancient lifestyle of the Lares region on a three-day trek through spectacular Andean scenery and centuries-old communities. Top it off with a comfortable visit to Machu Picchu and a private guided tour of the Incas’ crowning achievement. You’ll stay in luxury hotels and camp and trek in comfort, with expert guides catering for your every whim.