10 Day Salkantay Machu Picchu Lodge Trek
Get the best of both worlds by trekking to Machu Picchu on the arduous and spectacular Salkantay route while recharging your batteries in rustic luxury lodges every night. Described by National Geographic as “the cool way” to get to the ancient Incan citadel, this bucket list adventure traverses soaring Andean peaks, fecund cloud forests, little-visited Inca ruins and ancient indigenous villages. You’ll sleep in a real bed, eat gourmet lunches and dinners and arrive at Machu Picchu refreshed. What’s more you’ll take in bustling Lima and charming Cuzco, one time capital of the Incas.
This fully customizable, private tour can be crafted by a Destination Expert to match the vacation of your dreams. From the moment you contact us, until the day you return home, we cater to your every whim.
See our preferred hotels for this itinerary by destination:
- Seven-days of exhilarating trekking through spectacular landscapes that see far less tourist pressure than the Inca Trail.
- Overnight stays in rustic luxury lodges along the trail route, to give you the opportunity to rest your hardworking body and make use of all amenities.
- Explore Andean villages and ancient Incan sites including Killarumiyoc and Mollepata.
- Witness the majestic Soyrococha glacier lake and take in views of the peaks of Salkantay and Humantay from a high mountain pass of 15,100 feet.
- Hike through gorgeous scenery from tropical cloud forests to bamboo groves, tiny Andean villages, valleys of rich vegetation and waterfalls.
- Trek along the challenging trail to the terraced Incan site of Llactapata, enjoying views of Machu Picchu in the distance as you hike.
- Stay overnight in the tranquil surrounds of the Machu Picchu Pueblo hotel in Aguas Calientes, to beat the crowds to Machu Picchu the next morning.
- A private guided tour of the key sites of Machu Picchu, with free time to further explore at your leisure.
- If time allows, a private tour of Lima, with visits to the city’s key sites, including the San Francisco Monastery, the Larco Archaeological Museum, and the picturesque waterfront district of Miraflores.
Trip At A Glance
- Day 1 – Arrive in Lima, Peru. Enjoy a fine dinner and relax for the night, near to the airport to minimize transit time.
- Day 2 – Fly to Cuzco, and enjoy a free day acclimatizing to the altitude and exploring the ancient capital of the Incas.
- Day 3 – Your trekking adventure begins! Visit Andean villages and Incan sites, before trekking 4 hours to the lodge at Soraypampa.
- Day 4 – Spend the day acclimatizing to the altitude (12,500ft) and enjoying the lodge amenities. Or take a half-day hike to a glacier.
- Day 5 – Summit the epic 15,000ft Salkantay Pass and take in fantastic panoramas of the glacier below. Sleep it off at the gorgeous Wayra Lodge.
- Day 6 – An easier day as you descend into the humid cloud forest. Check in to Colpa Lodge early for a lunchtime feast and a soak in the outdoor hot tub.
- Day 7 – Hike alongside a fertile river valley and enjoy a hot lunch. After a 30-minute drive and a short hike you’ll arrive at Lucma Lodge.
- Day 8 – Your last trekking day. Summit the Llactapata Pass and spy Machu Picchu in the distance. Take a 30-minute train ride to your Machu Picchu hotel.
- Day 9 – Catch one of the first buses up to Machu Picchu and enjoy a guided tour of the citadel before the masses arrive. Take a scenic train ride back to Cuzco.
- Day 10 – Fly back to Lima and – depending on when your international flight leaves – take a tour of Peru’s bustling capital.
Day 1 - Arrival in Lima, Peru
Upon arrival to Lima, you will be greeted and driven to your selected hotel. If staying at the Lima airport Costa del Sol Wyndham, you will only need to walk out the airport exit and across the street to your evening accommodations.
Day 2 - Lima to Cuzco
Travelling from Lima to Cuzco you will have gone from sea level to 11,500 feet. The first day you will be free to relax and acclimatize to the altitude. If you're feeling up to it, the city center is pedestrian-friendly and makes for a great stroll. We’d also love to recommend the city's best options for dining and shopping.
Day 3 - Cuzco to Soraypampa
Departing from Cuzco and heading towards 20,600-foot Salkantay mountain, you will visit the Tarawasi ruins near the town of Limatambo. Continuing up a mountain road you will reach Marcoccasa, the starting point of the trek, and after another 4 hours of mild trekking you will reach the lodge at Soraypampa (12,500 ft). Enjoy the afternoon free to acclimatize and take in the beautiful surroundings.
Day 4 - Soraypampa
Depending on your level of acclimatization, you can choose to take a half-day hike to a nearby glacial lake, or enjoy the day at leisure soaking in the outdoor jacuzzi. All meals will be served at the lodge, and in the evening you will briefed on the trekking itinerary for the upcoming days.Depending on your level of acclimatization, you can choose to take a half-day hike to a nearby glacial lake, or enjoy the day at leisure soaking in the outdoor jacuzzi. All meals will be served at the lodge, and in the evening you will be briefed on the trekking itinerary for the upcoming days.
Day 5 - Trekking over Salkantay
Heading out early, your hike begins up the Rio Blanco valley, traversing Humantay Peak, and tackling a 15,000 foot pass across Salkantay. Here you will stop to take in the fantastic views of Salkantay glacier and the snowcapped Vilcabamba range. Hot lunch will be served en route and your journey for the day finishes at the Wayra Lodge.
Day 6 - Through the Cloud Forest
After a leisurely breakfast, the trek begins downhill through lush vegetation along the Salkantay river where you'll feel warmer jungle air. Upon arrival at the Colpa Lodge, located in a beautiful riverside setting, you will be served a traditional Peruvian Pachamanca lunch. Enjoy the afternoon in the outdoor hot tub, taking in the beautiful surroundings.
Day 7 - Llactapata Inca Trail
The journey today follows the Santa Teresa River Valley, through plantations of coffee, bananas, granadillas, and orchards. You'll stop along the river for a hot lunch, before continuing an hour to the arranged pick up point. From here, a private vehicle will take you 30 minutes to the head of the Llactapata Inca Trail. Hiking up the trail for another 30 minutes you arrive at the Lucma Lodge, where you will spend the evening.
Day 8 - Llactapata to Aguas Calientes
The final day of trekking, you climb for 2-3 hours to reach the Llactapata pass at 8,900 feet. From here, you get your first glimpse of Machu Picchu in the distance, and can explore the recently restored Llactapata Ruins. After a scenic lunch break, the descent to Aguas Calientes begins, taking you through bamboo forests, orchards, and coffee plantations. At the end of the hike, you board a train to take you the final 30 minutes to Aguas Calientes and your hotel for the night.
Day 9 - Machu Picchu to Cuzco
Rising early to make it to Machu Picchu before the crowds, you will take one of the first buses up to the ruins where you'll enjoy a tour of the citadel. Ample time remains after the tour to explore Machu Picchu on your own, walk to the Inca Bridge, or hike up to the Inti Punku or Sun Gate. After descending back to the town of Aguas Calientes you'll head back to Cuzco via a scenic train ride.
Day 10 - International Departure
You will be picked up from your hotel and driven to the Cuzco airport for your flight to Lima. (Optional recommended excursion) - Depending on the time of your international flight out a private tour of Lima's key sites can be arranged. You will visit the Larco Archaeological Museum, the San Francisco Monastery and its catacombs, Lima's historic colonial squares, and the picturesque waterfront district Miraflores.
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners. Our specialty is private, customizable travel experiences.
10 Day Tour from $4,390 per person
- 4 nights in our preferred properties hand selected for comfort, convenience and quality
- Privately guided tours with your own personal guide and driver (outside Salkantay Trek)
- All private airport transfers with English speaking assistance (outside Salkantay Trek)
- 5 nights on guided small-group Salkantay Lodge to Lodge Trek
- Nutritious meals, snacks and water
- Guide and assistant guide support
- Porter assistance to carry your personal belongings
- Return Vistadome train to Machu Picchu Pueblo and the bus to ruins
- All required entrance fees
- All breakfasts
- 24hr support
- All taxes
8 Day Lares Trek & Tour
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 2 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
Experience a little bit of everything the Cuzco region has to offer on this 8-Day Lares Trek & Tour. You’ll discover the fascinating pre-Columbian and colonial history of Cuzco, jewel of the Andes, before immersing yourself in the ancient lifestyle of the Lares region on a three-day trek through spectacular Andean scenery and centuries-old communities. Top it off with a comfortable visit to Machu Picchu and a private guided tour of the Incas’ crowning achievement. You’ll stay in luxury hotels and camp and trek in comfort, with expert guides catering for your every whim.
9 Day Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 3 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
Trek to Machu Picchu by going “off the beaten Inca Trail” on the exotic Salkantay Trek. Described by National Geographic as “the cool way” to get to the ancient Incan citadel, this challenging hike takes you through Andean peaks, cloud forests, Incan ruins and small villages where people still live as they have for hundreds of years. You’ll camp in style, beat the crowds to Machu Picchu, and visit cosmopolitan Lima and charming Cuzco, the erstwhile capital of the Incas.
8 Day Great Inca Trail Expedition
1 night in Lima, 2 nights in Huaraz, 4 nights on the trail
Indulge in the adventure of a lifetime when you hike a pristine section of the Great Inca Trail, a 25,000-mile road network widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest engineering marvels. For five days you’ll traverse a remote, rugged and spectacular swath of Peru’s Northern Andes that very few tourists have ever visited. You will follow in the footsteps of the Incas – treading their great road, camping at ancient refuges and relying on llamas to carry your luggage – under the watchful guidance of an experienced local guide, chef and porters.
8 Day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu Tour
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 3 nights camping on the Inca Trail
Tackle the legendary Inca Trail for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to approach Machu Picchu through breathtaking mountain scenery, as the Incas themselves did many centuries ago. The classic four-day Inca Trail trek involves visits to all the trail’s famous sites, including the ruins at Runkurakay, Sayacmarca, Phuyupatamarca and Wiñay Wayna. Your equipment will be carried by experienced porters and you will sleep in tented luxury as you make your way to your ultimate destination of Machu Picchu, which you will view at sunrise through the Sun Gate.