8 Day Lares Trek & Tour
Experience a little bit of everything the Cuzco region has to offer on this 8-Day Lares Trek & Tour. You’ll discover the fascinating pre-Columbian and colonial history of Cuzco, jewel of the Andes, before immersing yourself in the ancient lifestyle of the Lares region on a three-day trek through spectacular Andean scenery and centuries-old communities. Top it off with a comfortable visit to Machu Picchu and a private guided tour of the Incas’ crowning achievement. You’ll stay in luxury hotels and camp and trek in comfort, with expert guides catering for your every whim.
This fully customizable, private tour can be crafted by a Destination Expert to match the vacation of your dreams. From the moment you contact us, until the day you return home, we cater to your every whim.
See our preferred hotels for this itinerary by destination:
- Start with a free day to acclimatize to the altitude and explore Cuzco at your leisure.
- Take a fascinating tour of Cuzco with visits to the mighty fortress of Sacsayhuaman, the Koricancha and the city’s cathedral.
- Three days of exhilarating trekking through varied landscapes and cultures in a region blessed by little tourist pressure.
- Camp in ultimate comfort and warmth, with quality sleeping bags and Therm-a-Rest sleeping mats in your spacious two-man tent.
- Visit the tiny textile-producing villages of Huacahuasi and Patacancha, to learn about their craft and way of life.
- Traverse spectacular high-altitude passes, dramatic snowmelt lakes and explore the little-visited Inca ruins of Pumamarka.
- Enjoy three hearty meals a day and rely on porters to carry your kit. You'll even have the use of a private tented bathroom in the campsite.
- Stay overnight in comfort in Aguas Calientes to beat the crowds to Machu Pichhu the next morning.
- Enjoy a guided tour of Machu Picchu, the ‘lost city of the Incas’, with free time to explore the remarkable citadel for yourself.
- Time allowing, take in a fascinating tour of Lima, with stops at the Larco Archaeological Museum, the San Francisco Monastery and Aliaga House.
Trip At A Glance
- Day 1 – Arrive in Lima and cross the road to your comfortable accommodations across the street from the city’s airport.
- Day 2 – Fly to Cuzco and spend the rest of the day acclimatizing to the altitude and immersing yourself in the history and culture of the city.
- Day 3 – Take a guided tour of Cuzco. Witness the mighty walls of Sacsayhuaman, the historical weight of the Koricancha and the fascinating cathedral.
- Day 4 – Drive to the trailhead and visit some hot springs before hiking 3.5 hours to Huacahuasi, your camp for the night.
- Day 5 –You’ll walk for 6-7 hours, through stunning landscapes to Patacancha Town, a traditional textile community and tonight’s campsite.
- Day 6 – A downhill hike to the remote Inca ruins at Pumamarka, before boarding a train to Aguas Calientes, gateway to Machu Picchu.
- Day 7 – Rise before dawn to beat the crowds to Machu Picchu. Enjoy a private, guided tour of the citadel before catching the train back to Cuzco.
- Day 8 – Fly back to Lima and – depending on when you depart Peru – take a tour of the city’s main sites or enjoy a meal in one of its world-class restaurants.
Day 1 - Arrival in Lima, Peru
Welcome to Peru! After gathering your luggage, simply exit the airport and walk across the street to your Lima hotel, Costa del Sol.
Day 2 - Lima to Cuzco
In the morning you will just need to walk back across the street to check in for your flight to Cuzco, the capital city of the former Inca Empire. Upon arrival in Cuzco, you'll be met at the airport by your guide and driver and escorted to your Cuzco hotel. Since you're going from sea level to 11,500 feet, you will want to spend today slowly adjusting to your new beautiful but literally breath-taking surroundings. Cuzco is one of the most charming towns in all of South America, and extremely pedestrian and visitor friendly.
Day 3 - Private Half Day Cuzco City Tour
During your tour of Cuzco, the capital of the Incan Empire, you'll visit Sacsayhuaman, an immense Incan complex with impressive stonework; Koricancha, one of the most important Incan temples (the walls were once actually coated in gold!); and Cuzco's Cathedral where you'll learn about the Cuzco School of Art.
Day 4 - Lares to Huacahuasi
Heading out early from your Cuzco hotel, you will be driven 4.5 hours through the Sacred Valley to the village of Lares, where you can enjoy the local hot springs and lunch. You will then hike 3.5 hours to Huacahuasi (12,300 ft), your campsite for the evening. In the afternoon, you can meet some of the locals and observe their traditional weaving techniques. All meals included; 3.5hrs walking
Day 5 - Lares Trek Huacahuasi to Patacancha
Rising early, you will start the ascent to the Ipsayccasa Pass; at 14,600 feet this is the highest point of the trek. Take in the breathtaking views of Mount Veronica and the surrounding snow-capped peaks. Continuing downhill to Ipsaycocha Lake for lunch where you can usually see Andean geese, then continue to Patacancha Town (12,300 ft), a textile community where Quechua is still spoken today. All meals included; 6-7hrs walking
Day 6 - Lares Trek Patacancha to Aguas Calientes
In the morning you'll continue downhill through gorgeous valley to Pumamarka, an important archeological Inca site, then board the train to the Inca town of Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley. Enjoy a stroll around the traditional Andean town, and board your train to Aguas Calientes (6,730 ft), located at the base of Machu Picchu, where your hotel awaits you. All meals included; 6-7hrs walking
Day 7 - Inca Trail - Machu Picchu to Cuzco
Uncover the secrets of Machu Picchu during a guided tour of this Incan citadel. You'll visit the most important parts of the ruins to learn how and why they were constructed. After the tour, you'll have time to further explore the ruins or sit back and enjoy the magic of Machu Picchu. Departing from Machu Picchu town, enjoy a train ride to Cuzco. Upon arrival at the train station you will be met and transferred to your Cuzco hotel.
Day 8 - Cuzco to Lima
You will be picked up from your hotel and driven to the Cuzco airport for your flight to Lima. Optional upgrade before international flight home: take a Private Lima City Tour which includes visits to the historical center, the Larco Archeology Museum and Casa Aliaga, the longest continually-owned colonial home in the Americas.
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners. Our specialty is private, customizable travel experiences.
8 Day Tour from $1,990 per person
- 4 nights in our preferred properties hand selected for comfort, convenience and quality
- Privately guided tours with your own personal guide and driver (outside Lares Trail)
- All private airport transfers with English speaking assistance (outside Lares Trail)
- 3 nights on guided small-group Lares Trail Trek
- All camping gear and nutritious meals, snacks and water
- Upgraded thermarest sleeping mats & sleeping bags
- Private portable bathroom to supplement camp-site restrooms
- Porter assistance to carry up your personal belongings
- Return Vistadome train to Machu Picchu Pueblo
- All required entrance fees
- All breakfasts
- 24hr support
- All taxes
8 Day Great Inca Trail Expedition
1 night in Lima, 2 nights in Huaraz, 4 nights on the trail
Indulge in the adventure of a lifetime when you hike a pristine section of the Great Inca Trail, a 25,000-mile road network widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest engineering marvels. For five days you’ll traverse a remote, rugged and spectacular swath of Peru’s Northern Andes that very few tourists have ever visited. You will follow in the footsteps of the Incas – treading their great road, camping at ancient refuges and relying on llamas to carry your luggage – under the watchful guidance of an experienced local guide, chef and porters.
9 Day Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 3 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
Trek to Machu Picchu by going “off the beaten Inca Trail” on the exotic Salkantay Trek. Described by National Geographic as “the cool way” to get to the ancient Incan citadel, this challenging hike takes you through Andean peaks, cloud forests, Incan ruins and small villages where people still live as they have for hundreds of years. You’ll camp in style, beat the crowds to Machu Picchu, and visit cosmopolitan Lima and charming Cuzco, the erstwhile capital of the Incas.
8 Day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu Tour
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 3 nights camping on the Inca Trail
Tackle the legendary Inca Trail for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to approach Machu Picchu through breathtaking mountain scenery, as the Incas themselves did many centuries ago. The classic four-day Inca Trail trek involves visits to all the trail’s famous sites, including the ruins at Runkurakay, Sayacmarca, Phuyupatamarca and Wiñay Wayna. Your equipment will be carried by experienced porters and you will sleep in tented luxury as you make your way to your ultimate destination of Machu Picchu, which you will view at sunrise through the Sun Gate.
8 Day Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 2 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
The 8-Day Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek is a unique and authentic experience developed by SA Expeditions in conjunction with the people of the Choquechaca Valley who have become lifelong friends with our founder. You’ll trek through remote and pristine landscapes accompanied by the men who have lived there for millennia, camp in spectacular locations and visit your guides’ ancestral village and meet their families. What’s more, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of Machu Picchu and spend a few days exploring Cuzco and imbibing its intoxicating blend of Spanish and pre-Colombian history.