8 Day Great Inca Trail Expedition
Indulge in the adventure of a lifetime when you hike a pristine section of the Great Inca Trail, a 25,000-mile road network widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest engineering marvels. For five days you’ll traverse a remote, rugged and spectacular swath of Peru’s Northern Andes that very few tourists have ever visited. You will follow in the footsteps of the Incas – treading their great road, camping at ancient refuges and relying on llamas to carry your luggage – under the watchful guidance of an experienced local guide, chef and porters.
This fully customizable, private tour can be crafted by a Destination Expert to match the vacation of your dreams. From the moment you contact us, until the day you return home, we cater to your every whim.
See our preferred hotels for this itinerary by destination:
1 night in Lima | 2 nights in Huaraz | 4 nights on the trail
- A day in Huaraz to acclimatize to the altitude and explore this fascinating town before the start of your adventure.
- Hike on a masterfully constructed ancient highway through some of the world’s most rugged and pristine landscapes.
- Visit magnificent Inca sites and Andean landscapes that only a handful of Westerners have had the privilege to witness.
- Spend time with the Araujo family of master weavers and witness their centuries-old skills in action.
- Carry only a daypack while a traditional llama caravan does the rest. Witness first-hand a method of transport that has been all but lost to humanity.
- A private tour of Huanuco Pampa, an extremely important Inca administrative center located hundreds of miles from the beaten path.
- Camp in ultimate comfort and warmth, with quality sleeping bags and Therm-a-Rest sleeping mats in your spacious two-man tent.
- Enjoy four wholesome meals every day and make use of a private tented bathroom.
- If time allows, take a tour of Lima’s key sites – the San Francisco Monastery, the city’s historical colonial squares and the picturesque waterfront district of Miraflores.
Trip At A Glance
- Day 1 – Arrive in Lima and stay in a luxury hotel over the road from the airport to minimize transit times.
- Day 2 – Fly to Huaraz, gateway to the Great Inca Trail, to acclimatize and explore this little-visited cultural gem.
- Day 3 – Drive to the trail head and begin your adventure. Ease into things with a 3-hour hike to the fascinating Inca archeological site which is your camp for the night.
- Day 4 –Be wowed by the Incas’ engineering prowess and the magnificence of the Andes. Summit a 15,000ft pass and camp alongside a family of master weavers.
- Day 5 – Visit a tiny Andean village before climbing to the high puna. Camp at an important Inca tambo and learn about Inca cosmology.
- Day 6 – Be one of the lucky few to hike alongside the Taparaco River on one of the most spectacular sections of Inca highway on the continent.
- Day 7 –Climb to Huanuco Pampa, a very important Inca administrative center and home to thousands of ruins. Return by road to Huaraz.
- Day 8 – Depart your Huaraz hotel and fly back to Lima. Depending on the time of your international flight, take a tour of the capital’s main sites.
Day 1 - Arrival in Lima, Peru
Welcome to Peru! Upon arrival at the Lima airport you will be greeted by a SA representative before walking across the street to your Lima hotel, the Costa del Sol Wyndham.
Day 2 - Lima to Huaraz
In the morning, you will just need to walk back across the street to check in for your flight to Huaraz, the gateway to the Qhapaq Ñan aka the Great Inca Trail. Upon arrival in Huaraz, you’ll be met at the airport by your guide and driver and escorted to your Huaraz hotel. After settling in, enjoy an afternoon tour of the city.
Day 3 - The Great Inca Trail – Castillo to Soledad de Tambo
Heading out early from your Huaraz hotel, you will be driven to the small town of Castillo, where you will begin the trek. You will climb three hours along the Inca Trail towards Soledad de Tambo, where you will arrive in time for lunch. This Inca “tambo” will also be your camp for the evening, allowing you to explore the Inca ruins and speak with the archeologists on site about their exciting new discoveries.
Day 4 - The Great Inca Trail –Soledad de Tambo - Quenuajirca
After leaving the Inca tambo, you will follow a section of the Qhapaq Ñan that reaches fifty feet in width, with stunning views of high Andean peaks. After climbing to the 15,000-foot pass at Wagapunta for most of the morning, you will arrive to camp at Quenuajirca by the afternoon. There you will visit the master weaver, Juan Araujo to learn about his work and life on The Great Inca Trail, home of his ancestors.
Day 5 - The Great Inca Trail – Quenuajirca to Tambo Grande
After descending to the small town of Ayash, you will start your climb to the high Andean puna at Huamanin. The Great Inca Trail then goes along the Taparaco river basin to Tambo Grande. You will camp under immense Southern skies that illuminate the Milky Way and surrounding stars, allowing you to understand how the Incas’ Cosmic vision defined their society and religion.
Day 6 - The Great Inca Trail – Tambo Grande to Isco
Continuing down the Great Inca Trail that runs along the Taparaco river, you will experience one of the most impressive sections of Inca road anywhere in the Empire. It’s a day where nature and Inca engineering turn your walk into a mystical experience that immerses you in an Andean world that very few people ever experience. You will arrive to San Lorenzo de Isco by early afternoon, in time for lunch and afternoon tea.
Day 7 - The Great Inca Trail – Isco to Huanuco Pampa
After arriving at Colpa, where the Taparaco and Vizcarra rivers collide, in the late morning you will climb to Huánuco Pampa. This important Inca administrative center boasts thousands of constructions built around an impressive Ushnu and is an excellent example of imperial Inca architecture. After a two-hour tour of the site, you will go by private vehicle back to Huaraz to relax before your departure the following day.
Day 8 - Huaraz to Lima
You will be picked up from your hotel and driven to the Huaraz airport for your flight to Lima. Depending on the time of your international flight out, you can opt to take a private tour of Lima's key sites. You will visit the Larco Archaeological Museum, the San Francisco Monastery and its catacombs, Lima's historic colonial squares, and the picturesque waterfront district of Miraflores.
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners. Our specialty is private, customizable travel experiences.
8 Day Tour from $3,490 per person
- 3 nights in our preferred properties hand selected for comfort, convenience and quality
- Privately guided tours with your own personal guide and driver
- All private airport transfers with English speaking assistance
- 4 nights on privately guided Great Inca Trail Trek
- All camping gear and nutritious meals, snacks and water
- Upgraded thermarest sleeping mats & sleeping bags
- Private portable bathroom to supplement camp-site restrooms
- Porter assistance to carry up your personal belongings
- All breakfasts
- 24hr support
- All taxes
12 Day Great Inca Trail & Machu Picchu Tour
1 night in Lima, 2 nights in Huaraz, 4 nights on the trail, 3 nights in Cuzco, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
Experience two of the Incas’ greatest accomplishments on this 12-day Great Inca Trail and Machu Picchu tour. First, follow in the footsteps of the Incas on a remote and pristine section of the Great Inca Trail, a magnificent engineering marvel that very few people have ever visited. You will spend 5 days hiking on the Incas’ great road, camping at their ancient refuges and depending on llamas to carry your luggage. Then fly to Cuzco, the ancient Inca capital, to experience the wonders of the city, the Sacred Valley and the magnificent citadel at Machu Picchu in private, guided comfort.
8 Day Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 2 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
The 8-Day Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek is a unique and authentic experience developed by SA Expeditions in conjunction with the people of the Choquechaca Valley who have become lifelong friends with our founder. You’ll trek through remote and pristine landscapes accompanied by the men who have lived there for millennia, camp in spectacular locations and visit your guides’ ancestral village and meet their families. What’s more, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of Machu Picchu and spend a few days exploring Cuzco and imbibing its intoxicating blend of Spanish and pre-Colombian history.
10 Day Salkantay Machu Picchu Lodge Trek
1 night in Lima, 2 nights in Cuzco, 5 nights in rustic-luxury lodges, 1 night in Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo hotel
Get the best of both worlds by trekking to Machu Picchu on the arduous and spectacular Salkantay route while recharging your batteries in rustic luxury lodges every night. Described by National Geographic as “the cool way” to get to the ancient Incan citadel, this bucket list adventure traverses soaring Andean peaks, fecund cloud forests, little-visited Inca ruins and ancient indigenous villages. You’ll sleep in a real bed, eat gourmet lunches and dinners and arrive at Machu Picchu refreshed. What’s more you’ll take in bustling Lima and charming Cuzco, one time capital of the Incas.
8 Day Lares Trek & Tour
1 night in Lima, 3 nights in Cuzco, 2 nights on the trail, 1 night in Machu Picchu town
Experience a little bit of everything the Cuzco region has to offer on this 8-Day Lares Trek & Tour. You’ll discover the fascinating pre-Columbian and colonial history of Cuzco, jewel of the Andes, before immersing yourself in the ancient lifestyle of the Lares region on a three-day trek through spectacular Andean scenery and centuries-old communities. Top it off with a comfortable visit to Machu Picchu and a private guided tour of the Incas’ crowning achievement. You’ll stay in luxury hotels and camp and trek in comfort, with expert guides catering for your every whim.